Sunday 13 March 2016

Low moments - Hazards of living life as a curvy woman Part 1

I am sure you are wondering why I chose to use the term curvy instead of just calling myself fat? Please stop wondering abeg. Who likes to call themselves fat anyway? I am curvy! Leave it like that joor!

I was on my way back from church today and remembered I have to go on a trip for a job shortly. I do love travelling, but I hate flying. Why? Well, the plane seats have become too tight for me and the seat belts almost choke me to death these days and so I have resorted to asking for the seat belt extensions. Sigh... It is actually embarrassing to do that and so I sometimes claim I am pregnant, especially when the flight attendant has this "what!" look on their face, once I add "I am pregnant" to my request, the expression on their face changes to "phew, ok... a moment madam". Some of them understand straight away and give me a wink, or a nod and quietly get me an extension; now that is professionalism. But professionalism or not, the truth remains that this is embarrassing...period! it is. It really is!!!.  I cant wait to get back to the days when I have to just buckle up and go. No seat belt extensions! Chai! that would be the day oh. Lol... sometimes when I am travelling with colleagues, I try to get them to seat separately from me... I can imagine them gossiping "did you see Ijay requesting for seat belt extension? hmmm...na wah oh... I know she is fat, but to ask for an extra seat belt? her case is serious oh...hmmm" My colleagues can pretend for Africa, well, some of them sha... and I know at some point they have talked about it. So what I do these days, if we are travelling as a group, I whisper to the travel agent to seat me separately from the entire group. ***covers face*** Leave me joor, I have to travel in peace and have some dignity while at it.

By the way, all of this doesn't stop me from being my fierce, fabulous self but it is one of those things that you think about just before your go to bed... you know, that moment when you lay down, winding down for the day, head on your pillow, face up, and events of the day just playing though your head? now don't pretend you don't do that. I usually just shake my head and just think about how embarrassing that felt.

I can't wait to write / publish an update to this post. That moment when I can use the plane seatbelt again, without an extension... aaah! that would be the day, I would be so excited to write about it. #watchthisspace

No comments:

Post a Comment